May 21, 2009

SEIZE aka Happywallmaker Interview by DonutChocula



Seize aka Happywallmaker

I was born in Paris in 1971. I started tagging at the beginning of the 80s. Building on my experience, I was influenced by the greatest painters of the 20th century and then developed my own style, between graffiti and contemporary painting. Some people call it street art.



That is for you Graffiti? Geometry?


It is painting above all. My technique comes from graffiti; my ideas from geometry – but for me, true graffiti is essentially a state of mind. It is an illegal act executed with style and not many can do that.


As has been influenced, to work for ten years in the metro to create your artwork?


In fact, I was a bus driver in Paris and I must admit that all those road networks on maps which I had to learn in connection with my job finally influenced me. It is mainly because of that crazy job that I decided to earn a living as a painter. I felt out of place behind a steering wheel, though that’s what built me, artistically speaking.



Street or Gallery...


Both. It is just the same work shown to different people in different places. I have images and ideas to share, whatever the location. But all in all, the street always has the last word.



To use tools to create?


My main tool is improvisation.




What is your favourite shape?


The triangle, because it symbolizes direction, determination and stability.

Mac or PC?
I have discovered IT and the Internet three years ago on a PC.

Influences? Recommendations?

Keith Haring, Dubuffet, Paul Klee, Nikki de Saint-Phalle, Moebius, Miles Davis, Sonny Rollins, H.R. Giger, and many more…



One City / One Book / One Color...


San Fransisco / L’Incal (a comic book by Moebius) / Blue

What music are you listening while you work?

I listen to jazz. It is the music that fits better with creativity and improvisation. My painting is in line with this music, because it is free.


Upcoming projects...

The 25 may i am in the festival jam "La nuit du Sreet art" with all the french street art scene the jam is in the middlle of paris big show with artits, galleries...


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...