January 02, 2012

Marie ERR Interview by DonutChocula



Tell me a little bit about yourself and how you got started?

Hum, I often think this arty thing kinda happened as an accident as what I really wanted to do was open bodies and treat weird diseases. But fortunately, or unfortunatelly, a school psychologist got in my way and told me I should pursuit an arts career instead as drawing was my other passion so yeah, I listened to her!

Age? Location? Artistic education?

I'm 23 and live in London!

I started with a BA in Design in Lisbon and soon moved to London to continue my studies in a MA in Illustration, witch I finished last September.


What can we find on your desktop? What type of materials used to draw and illustrate?

My desktop used to be super tidy but it's just a big mess right now... Between markers, nail polishers, a wacom, indian ink, sketchbooks, a cat, my laptop and loads of brushes and tiny pencils I can find my space to draw. Fortunately I've got a massive table.

Describe your process of creating a new design.

I usually do several small pencil sketches, I choose one and make it bigger and draw it with a marker/brush. Then, I scan it, add colour on photoshop and voilà!





Where do you go for inspiration when you start creating? What/who inspires your work?

I used to research loads and used other artists as inspiration.. but I kinda stop doing it. I think mostly because my style has evolved to a point where I feel very confortable with what I do and have no need to look at other people's work to make mine better, I work quite spontaneously I reckon.


But I do obviously have loads of references from graffiti, illustration, comix and animation such as: Finsta, Horfe, HuskMitNavn, Andy Rememter, Robert Crumb, Charles Burns, Daniel Clowes, Tex Avery and John Kricfalusi being a few of my all time favourites.

Tell me a little bit about the Sweet Crimson Anatomy Book & La Fabuleuse Zine.

Sweet Crimson Anatomy Book was my MA final project. It was super fun to develop as it was based on my dream to become a surgeon and it made me study medice, bizarre diseases, anatomy and so on, and very rewarding in the end. Actually, it's also soon be turned into a Iphone animated application, I couldn't be more excited about it's release!
I'll keep you posted.




On the other hand, La Fabuleuse Zine was a combination of very personal everyday comics and illustrations that I did during the period of time when I was working on Sweet & Crimson, mostly about my life. I ended up showing them together on my MA final show in Camberwell.




What kind of books we can find in your library?

I used to have a huge pile of mostly comics on my bedsit from my college's library, I cried bloog and tears when I had to return them. The books that I own are almost entirelly about typography being Hand Job by Mike Perry my rosetta stone.


How is your life in London and how much impact do you think the city has had on you? What is your favorite thing about living in London?

London became really quickly the city that I call home. I got my friends here, my work and routine, I feel very happy and fortunate.


This city is amazing, you have so much diversity, from exhibitions to partys, it gets hard to choose what you want to do, but you never get bored. I think what inspires me the most is people, you get to meet the funniest characters just by only going to the supermarket... it's silly.


What is your favorite meal?

Argh, I can't choose just one! I gotta say pizza, noodles and veggie full english breakfast. Yumm.


Is music a part of your studio time? What do you listen to?

For sure, I can't work without music! Pretty much everyone from Stones Throw! Madlib, J Dilla, MF Doom, MED, Wu Tang, Slum Village, Pharcyde, The Cool Kids, and the list goes on..


What are you really excited about right now?

I can't stop listening to Talib Kweli & Madlib's Liberation, and the Wu Tang meets the indie culture albuns. And quite recently I found Jazz Liberatorz and got super addicted to it!


One Comic / One Color / One Museum / One City

Charles Burns - Black Hole, Orange, Huntarian Museum, London

Last good film you saw.

Maybez Midnight in Paris, Woody Allen. I love him to death!


Best way to spend a day off?

I only have Sunday's off so I'm pretty lazy in the morning, I watch looney tunes, have a full english breakfast down the road and go for a big walk to the markets to end the day in bed again with a bottle of wine and a movie.


Upcoming projects, upcoming shows, etc...?

I've got loads of projects in hand right now! I've got some cool tshirt designs, a couple of iphone applications, books and magazines on the go! I'm also starting a comix project which hopefully should end up in an exhibition in East London early next year, so all very exciting!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...