April 05, 2012

Yokonori Stone "Welcome to the Tenderloin" solo exhibition at Ever Gold Gallery

“shhh, can’t you see that Barry McGee is working!”

Yokonori Stone
Welcome to the Tenderloin


Ever Gold Gallery is please to announce the first solo exhibition of Yokonori Stone.

April 5th – 26th

I hope I don’t piss off Barry McGee cause I really like his work and sometimes I wishI was him. There is a lot to like about San Francisco and I hope to pay tribute to themany wonderful people and places in the city. The majority of the work in this showwas made with that in mind. I am not all that smart so I try to keep things simple…if Ilike something I paint it and when I am done if I still like it then I show it. I like BarryMcGee, Ron Turner, Artbusiness.com and the San Francisco Giants. I hope no one getsangry when I paint a picture of them. Although my skills might not be world class mylove for all of them is.

With all my love,
Yokonori Stone










Born 1982 Okinawa, Japan at the U.S. Naval Hospital, Camp Lester

My father, Chief Warrant Officer Daniel Stone, is an American Marine. My mother, Yuki, grew up in Naha, the capitol of the Okinawa Prefecture. I am told that they met when my father asked her for directions to a local market. My mother was walking to that very same market and so my father offered to give her a ride in his Jeep. My mother recalls that he talked the whole time in Japanese thinking that she understood him even though she was raised in a family that rejected anything Japanese and that she only spoke the local dialect of Ryukyuan. Regardless of this miscommunication they started to see one another beyond trips to the market. My mother said that she knew that she was in love with my father but that she was reluctant to introduce him to her family because they would be unwilling to accept an outsider into the family.

Eventually after many months she introduced him to her family. My father was instantly accepted when he managed to bow lower than anyone ever thought an American capable of. My mother did not know that he practiced yoga daily, uncommon for an American Marine. His exceptionally low bow meant that he had a great amount of respect for his future father-in-law. They married in a traditional Okinawan ceremony and I was born a year later.

Ever Gold Gallery
441 O’Farrell St.
SF, CA, 94102
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...