May 26, 2012

Francesca Pastine "Unsolicited" solo show at Eleanor Harwood Gallery




Francesca Pastine
Unsolicited

Opening Reception Saturday, May 26th, 7-10pm
May 26th - July 7th, 2012

Eleanor Harwood Gallery is pleased to present Francesca Pastine's first solo show with the gallery. Francesca will present a new series of her Artforum Unsolicited Collaborations.

Of the work she says:
I began using ARTFORUM magazines as a medium for my work in 2008. I noticed that they were familiar fixtures in my friends' homes. Apparently, because of their glossy nature, nobody wanted to throw them away. I was intrigued by their square format, particularly when the bloated art market was reflected in their one-inch thickness and I began asking my friends for their unwanted magazines. Starting with the covers, I cut, bend, manipulate, pull, and dig my way through them, revealing a visceral topography of art trends. The finished worked becomes an unsolicited collaboration with the magazine and the cover artist.



Maintaining a strong connection to the physicality of drawing, my X-acto blade mimics a pencil, subtracting rather than adding. I eschew glue or other manipulations that change the inherent character of the magazines. In this way, they retain their association to what they are, carriers of information that have been handled, earmarked and scuffed over time.


Eleanor Harwood Gallery
1295 Alabama Street

San Francisco, CA 94110
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...