May 03, 2012

Mark Mulroney's "Spring Time Pictures" exhibition at Galleries Goldstein at Goodhood


Mark Mulroney's
Spring Time Pictures

Galleries Goldstein at Goodhood are proud to present an exhibition of new works by American artist Mark Mulroney.


Opening May 3rd, 6.30 - 9.30pm
Runs until May 26th

The exhibition of Comic Abstraction's will comprise of small paintings on board (actually on old hardback book covers).


Below is an interview with the artist in which he discusses his practice. This can be used directly if you'd like to publish it.

Theres a degree of abstraction in your work, can you talk about the form and Abstraction of objects and how you use them?
I use what I need. Sometimes that is something recognizable to ground a picture in a specific environment and sometimes that is just a blob of color to provide contrast and depth in a picture. I don't make a point of abstracting or not, it all comes about intuitively as I decide what the picture requires.

Your attitude to colour?
Generally I like to keep the palette minimal or mostly warm or cool colors and then use one color that runs against all that to give the picture a bit of tension.



The objects, is there a certain aesthetic that makes you choose these things, a link to your work or you....?
I suppose the aesthetic I prefer is a very tight graphic one. I never got into pushing paint around although I do like it in other artists work.

...and at times do these objects become characters in a scene?
Every object is a character. They might not have a specific name or personality but they do play a role in the story of the picture. I think it is impossible to avoid that. Any artists that places one blob next to another instantly creates a narrative whether they like it or not.

Are you stripping things back to fragments?
I think so. I have tried to simplify things over that last couple of years. I used to want to try and create really impressive, technically facile pictures but lately that just seems like masturbation more than art.

Do you find yourself communicating with the characters you create ever?
Of course. I draw one character and then I find myself deciding if the next character will want to kill or fuck the first one.

Obviously you create collage with paintings on... but your paintings, I've often described as being like painted collages, is collage part of the process of the paintings ( and all of your work)?
I use collage a lot. Sometimes very I make a very straight forward collage and other times I repaint some elements. Usually I do this because I want the element a different size or color and the original collage element is what it is and I want it to be something different. I don't think about it to much I usually just look at the picture and do what the picture needs. If that means that I glue something down I do that and if that means that I repaint something I do that.



There is a sense of humour in your work?
I suppose that would have to be answered by whoever looks at what I am doing. Some folks say yes, others say no.

Any thoughts on the energy, flow, balance, repetition and variation in your work? I mean, there is often a contrast of two or 3 different styles in a painting, really crisp elements against splurges of colour, and recently spraycan strokes...
I am always trying to add to the tools I can employ in a picture. Mostly so I don't get bored. Stencils, collage, scratching, drawing, whatever I think will work I do it while always trying to avoid novelty.

The book covers you've been using as the objects to paint on, is there anything to discuss here?
That is an easy answer. I have lots of books and it is just what is around me. If I had lots of cereal boxes I'd probably be working on those instead of book covers.

Biggest influences / what is the must hit shit at the moment for you?
I really like kids drawings and various flea market craft projects that I find around town but what really gets me excited lately is the new Cavalera Conspiracy album and Wild Birds and Peacedrums. I listen to those two bands a lot.



Iron Maiden covers were the start of drawing for you?
You bet. My brother had lots of them and they seemed dangerous so I used to copy them in pencil.

Where are you from? where do you live... how is the weather system, describe your surroundings daily life and studio?
I am from Pennsylvania but am currently living in upstate New York. My routine is rather dull but works for me. Up at 7:30, at my desk by 8:30, check email for 20 minutes, work until 12:00, eat lunch for 20 minutes, back to work until 5:30, meet my wife as she walks home from work, have dinner and do dishes, back to work until 8:30, shower, watch something and have a drink, go to bed at 10:30. When I am working that can be anything. Somedays I work on a carving all day while other days I just cut naked ladies out of magazines and glue them into my naked lady book.

Sketchbooks are an important part of your practice?
Very much so. It is my record of where I have been and where I want to go. I do most everything in their first and try and figure out what I am trying to say or do as an artist.

Favourite cartoon character?
Ren, from Ren and Stimpy. He is a skinny little asshole like myself.

Favourite food?
Chile Rellenos!! My wife makes them on my birthday.



Galleries Goldstein at Goodhood
20 Coronet Street,

London, N1 6HD
UK
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...