January 12, 2013

Ernest Holzman "L.A. BACKSTORY" at Known Gallery


ERNEST HOLZMAN | L.A. BACKSTORY

Opening reception: January 12, 2013 | 8-11pm
Show runs: January 12 – 26, 2013

Everyone has a BACKSTORY.

In February 2012, I was two months from having a PET scan as part of my ongoing treatment for non-Hodgkin lymphoma. This particular scan was significant because it would indicate if the chemotherapy had worked or if I needed more medicine…possibly even a bone marrow transplant. I suddenly had a serious passion to do some work.

I wanted to feel like a teenager again when I felt completely invulnerable. And I wanted to have an adventure.

So I decided to photograph a nude woman on the streets of Los Angeles. Without permits. Guerrilla style.

We went to special locations I had come to love over the years and made pictures when the light was right. A 60-year-old photographer and a 60-year-old 4×5 view camera which only captured one film image at a time.

I shot Carly mostly from the back and watched her as she looked ahead…perhaps seeing into the future.

This is the genesis of the work on these walls.

L.A. Backstory.



About ERNEST HOLZMAN

In 1974 I graduated from New York University where I studied music and photography. I played drums in jazz and rock groups and sold photographs to the Black Star Agency.

I enrolled at the American Film Institute in 1978 and was granted an internship with cinematographer Jordan Cronenweth on the film “Cutter’s Way”.

Jordan and I became friends and he invited me to work on his next project which was “Blade Runner”. I spent the next few years working with him and learning about light.

Eventually I began photographing television commercials and in 1989 I was offered my first dramatic work on “thirtysomething”.
For the next twenty-five years I continued working in advertising and television drama including the iconic “My So-Called Life”.

In 2001, I was honored by the American Society of Cinematographers for my work on the PBS/Masterpiece Theatre drama “Cora Unashamed”.

My wife Terry Anne and I are currently writing screenplays together. Comedies.

Known Gallery / Main Room
441 North Fairfax Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90036

US
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...